Digital signage is like any technology in that it needs ownership and ideas, otherwise its just a screen on the wall.
These are the words I used when delivering a TrilbyTV training session to teachers at Micklefield School this week.
Micklefield School have been part of the TrilbyTV sharing and showcasing community for two years now. They have one screen in their main corridor and one in their lunch hall. These screens are used to mainly promote pupils work which was our main feature focus when making TrilbyTV.
As we well know from 10 years of being Apple education trainers, teachers will always find a refresher session on any technology useful. Especially if it’s creative, hands on and focused on new ideas.
During the session I showed Micklefield teachers how easy it was to upload all content types including video, slideshow, twitter feed, web and title slide. But I made sure I linked these uploads to teaching and learning ideas including the following…
- Title Slide – Word of the day or student of the week
- Twitter Feed – School twitter feed and education focused ones such as National Poetry Day @PoetryDayUK
- Web Content – Google slides presentation to drive lunch menus. Also to add live Padlet walls
- Slideshow – Evidencing directly from the classroom. Using a mobile device take images of a creative writing session to share instantly
- Video – use a plethora of apps such as Quik, iMovie or Adobe Spark Video to document school trips
The session was so well received that staff were already uploading new content and ideas while I was still presenting. Straight away they were adding simple title slides highlighting children from their Year Groups which I thought was a lovely idea and very personal.
So a very well received TrilbyTV training session and at the end I asked those staff attending to join a collaborative Padlet wall to share ideas on how they could make best use of their TrilbyTV.
Heres the link to this Padlet wall and Ive also pasted some of the ideas I especially liked below…
- Weekly hand writing award – Title Slide
- Sharing celebration assembly – Video
- Sports results as soon as fixtures are played – live scores – Google slides
- Star of the day – Title Slide
- Sharing projects with parents – public links
It’s not rocket science, it never is, but technology needs a purpose. If not it becomes dusty in the corner of a classroom or turned off like 100’s of screens we’ve experienced in schools. You also need the best performing solution for the job in hand. When it comes to digital signage in schools – TrilbyTV is #1